Welding is the most durable and strongest method to join two separate pieces of metal with high heat. The benefits of choosing welding services are plenty, but special consideration has to be taken for the type of metal to be welded. Factors such as metal’s melting point, electrical conductivity, inherent strength and how the metal reacts to forces such as stretching and bending should be considered. Count on Aaron Machine Shop Ltd for reliable welding services in Calgary. We offer metal welding services for aluminum, stainless steel, cast iron and titanium. We have been providing general machining services since 1996.
Types of Welding for Metal Building
Welding is a complex process used in the automotive industry, construction, aviation and also in the manufacture of many household appliances. Welding helps weld non-structural metal building components such as stairs, handrails and floor joists that can’t be bolted into position. Welding services require careful planning and design to ensure the structure is safe in case of any accidents or disasters. Here are the types of welding to understand the process better:
1. Arc Welding
This process uses either an AC or DC electrical current to create an electric arc to melt and join various metals.
• Because of a lack of gas, the equipment required is less and affordable
• Materials can be easily transported to other workplaces
• It is one of the fastest methods of welding and can be used in confined spaces
• Parts and replacements of arc welding are easy to find
• Arc welding requires high skill and a trained welder
• It is not easy to weld thin metals
2. MIG (Metal Inert Gas) Welding
MIG welding is a subtype of arc welding. Along with a solid wire electrode, a shielding gas such as argon is used to protect the weld pool from contamination.
• MIG welding is versatile and can weld a wide variety of metals and alloys
• It provides better weld pool visibility
• It has high welding speed and less post welding cleaning
• Equipment is complex and costly
• Since gas is used it’s not suitable for outdoor welding
3. TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) Welding
In this process, tungsten inert gas is used to shield the weld area from oxidation during the welding process.
• It is a good solution for small or precise welds
• TIG welding gives detailed precision with less spattering
• Either manual or automatic methods can be used
• It requires skilled welders
• It is not suitable for thicker metal joints
There are different types of metal used in welding. Understand the unique advantages and disadvantages of welding different metals before working on any project. Welding services require quality craftsmanship and certified welders to make sure your project is completed with efficiency. Aaron Machine Shop Ltd provides reliable on-site welding services for businesses, factories and individual clients. We also offer general machining, waterjet cutting and hydraulic services.
Contact us today to discuss your options and select the welding technique of your choice.
Share this article
Did you know that steel is worth more than $4 billion dollars to the Canadian economy each…